- suitable or appropriate; proper or becoming.
Origin of fitting
SynonymsSee more synonyms for fitting on Thesaurus.com
1. fit, meet, right, decorous, seemly.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for well-fitting
The vessel for the stock vat should have a well-fitting lid.Vegetable Dyes
Ethel M. Mairet
My energetic organism is like a well-fitting garment; I do not feel it at all.Essays Towards a Theory of Knowledge
Gloves must be fresh and well-fitting to make the dress perfect.Mrs. Hale's Receipts for the Million
Sarah Josepha Hale
And they fitted each other like a glove, or, rather, like a well-fitting glove.The House by the River
A. P. Herbert
He paused to brush an invisible bit of dust from his well-fitting clothes.The Rival Pitchers
- appropriate or proper; suitable
- an accessory or partan electrical fitting
- (plural) furnishings or accessories in a building
- work carried out by a fitter
- the act of trying on clothes so that they can be adjusted to fit
- British size in clothes or shoesa narrow fitting
Word Origin and History for well-fitting
1530s (adj.); c.1600 (n.), from present participle of fit (v.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper