- well-known; celebrated; famous: a noted scholar.
- provided with musical notation, a musical score, etc.: The text is illustrated with noted examples from the symphonies.
Origin of noted
SynonymsSee more synonyms for noted on Thesaurus.com
1. distinguished, renowned, eminent.
1. obscure, unknown.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- distinguished; celebrated; famous
- of special note or significance; noticeablea noted increase in the crime rate
Word Origin and History for well-noted
c.1300, "observed," past participle adjective from note (v.). Meaning "observed for some special quality" is from 1590s. Related: Notedness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper