- the western part of the world, as distinguished from the East or Orient; the Occident.
- the non-Communist countries of Western Europe and the Americas.
Idioms about west
Origin of west
Other definitions for west (2 of 3)
Other definitions for west (3 of 3)
How to use west in a sentence
There is, however, a separate wing of AQAP designed to inspire their followers to conduct attacks against the West.U.S. Spies See Al Qaeda Fingerprints on Paris Massacre|Shane Harris, Nancy A. Youssef|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The need for an Ebola vaccine in West Africa has never been greater.
With Ebola still raging in West Africa, the race to find a vaccine is heating up.
I meet Otis J. the night he arrives at “The Castle,” a West Harlem halfway house for newly-released convicts.His First Day Out Of Jail After 40 Years: Adjusting To Life Outside|Justin Rohrlich|January 3, 2015|DAILY BEAST
Kanye West wants people to stand up and dance at his concerts.Butts, Brawls, and Bill Cosby: The Biggest Celebrity Scandals of 2014 |Kevin Fallon|December 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The volcanic eruptions of the mountains on the west broke down its barriers, and let its waters flow.
When the women came, he was preparing to go to the west side for his daily visit with Mrs. Pruitt.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
The cantonment was split into two sections by an irregular ravine, or nullah, running east and west.The Red Year|Louis Tracy
But you are mistaken in thinking the force west consists of the entire Merrill Horse.The Courier of the Ozarks|Byron A. Dunn
Of course, my first row was a long one, quite through the city from west to east, including innumerable turnings and windings.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
British Dictionary definitions for west (1 of 3)
- to be lost or destroyed irrevocably
- to die
Word Origin for west
British Dictionary definitions for west (2 of 3)
- that part of the US lying approximately to the west of the Mississippi
- (during the Colonial period) the region outside the 13 colonies, lying mainly to the west of the Alleghenies
- of or denoting the western part of a specified country, area, etc
- (as part of a name)the West Coast
British Dictionary definitions for west (3 of 3)
Other Idioms and Phrases with west
see go west.