- a loud sound produced by an explosion or sharp impact: the wham of a pile driver.
- a forcible impact.
- (used as an exclamation suggestive of a loud slam, blow, or the like).
- to hit or make a forcible impact, especially one producing a loud sound: The boat whammed into the dock. He whammed the door shut.
- Also whammo. abruptly; with startling suddenness: The car ran wham up against the building.
Origin of wham
First recorded in 1730–40; imitative
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for wham
One day you reach down to pick up a bag, sleep in an awkward position, or fall on the street, and— WHAM— your back gets injured.Is Your Chair Killing You? The Consequences of Comfort
Daniel E. Lieberman
October 14, 2013
Sure, the standard carols and tracks by the likes of the Beach Boys, Wham!Twelve Christmas Song Fails: John Travolta, Justin Bieber & More (VIDEO)
December 10, 2012
There’s Muslim-baiting imagery borrowed from 24 and an absurd ‘80s nostalgia sing-along that would make the boys from Wham!The Top 10 Weirdest Campaign Ads
August 16, 2010
Her pregnancy was heralded in the Sun with the headline “Wham Bam Sam Cam.”Move Over, Michelle
May 12, 2010
But considere also quod she in wham is blisfulnesse enhabite.
Why he used to spell “who” wha, and “have” hae, and “whom” wham!
I stepped out between acts for a breath of fresh air, and wham, a sack over the head and here I am.The Hell Ship
Raymond Alfred Palmer
There was a sudden catastrophic whooshing roar and, wham, a tree took flame for roots.A Feast of Demons
In a jiffy, I'd be going slippety-sizzle over the edge of the eaves and land with a wham at Poetry's feet.Shenanigans at Sugar Creek
- a forceful blow or impact or the sound produced by such a blow or impact
- an exclamation imitative of this sound
- to strike or cause to strike with great force
C20: of imitative origin
Word Origin and History for wham
"a heavy blow," 1923, of echoic origin.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper