- a cotton, woolen, or worsted fabric with a steep, diagonally ribbed surface.
- a strong, hard-twisted cord, sometimes used for the lashes of whips.
- a cord made from the intestines of animals; catgut.
Origin of whipcord
Examples from the Web for whipcord
Historical Examples of whipcord
His fingers had been busy tying knots in a length of whipcord.Captain Blood
Name's Mervin; all whipcord and whalebone; springy as a bent bow.The Trail of '98
Robert W. Service
He was a slim, brown youth, hard as nails and tough as whipcord.Oh, You Tex!
William Macleod Raine
A mass of whipcord muscle, it can be made rigid, or flexible, at will."Wee Tim'rous Beasties"
It was the opposite one to which the hurrying fugitive in whipcord had taken.The Cross-Cut
Courtney Ryley Cooper
- a strong worsted or cotton fabric with a diagonally ribbed surface
- a closely twisted hard cord used for the lashes of whips, etc