adjective, whit·er, whit·est.
- white or nearly white clothing, as in tennis whites.
- top-grade white flour.
- the outermost ring of the butt.
- an arrow that hits this portion of the butt.
- the central part of the butt or target, formerly painted white but now painted gold or yellow.
- Archaic. a target painted white.
verb (used with object), whit·ed, whit·ing.
- to make white by leaving blank spaces (often followed by out).
- to whiten (areas of artwork) in retouching preparatory to photoengraving (often followed by out).
- to cover (errors in copy) with a white correction fluid.
- to censor, as by obliterating words or passages with white ink.
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Idioms for white
Origin of white
OTHER WORDS FROM whitehalf-white, adjectiveun·white, adjective
Definition for white (2 of 2)
Example sentences from the Web for white
She was whiter'n a sheet, an' her eyes were big and stary, but she had nerve.The Lone Star Ranger|Zane Grey
In l. 10 Miss Guiney thinks that 'whiter', the sole reading, must be 'winter'.Minor Poets of the Caroline Period, Vol III|John Cleveland
Jes' riccolec', Brudder, de waters dat it smote apart an' dat wash it whiter'n snow.The Shadow|Mary White Ovington
British Dictionary definitions for white (1 of 3)
- (of coffee or tea) with milk or cream
- (of bread) made with white flour
- extremely clean and white
- informal very pure, honest, and moral
- a white or light-coloured piece or square
- (usually capital) the player playing with such pieces
- the outer ring of the target, having the lowest score
- a shot or arrow hitting this ring
Derived forms of whitewhitely, adverbwhiteness, nounwhitish, adjective
Word Origin for white
British Dictionary definitions for white (2 of 3)
British Dictionary definitions for white (3 of 3)
Idioms and Phrases with white
In addition to the idioms beginning with white
- white as a sheet
- white elephant
- white feather
- white flag, show the
- white lie
- white sale
- black and white
- bleed someone white
- great white hope
- show the white feather