- fully awake; with the eyes wide open.
- alert, keen, or knowing: a wide-awake young woman.
- Also called wide-awake hat. a soft, low-crowned felt hat.
- the sooty tern.
Origin of wide-awake
First recorded in 1810–20
SynonymsSee more synonyms for wide-awake on Thesaurus.com
2. watchful, vigilant; sharp, quick, astute.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- fully awake
- keen, alert, or observant
- Also called: wide-awake hat a hat with a low crown and very wide brim
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Idioms and Phrases with wide awake
Fully awake; also, very alert. For example, He lay there, wide awake, unable to sleep, or She was wide awake to all the possibilities. The wide in this idiom alludes to the eyes being wide open. [Early 1800s]
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.