- fully awake; with the eyes wide open.
- alert, keen, or knowing: a wide-awake young woman.
- Also called wide-awake hat. a soft, low-crowned felt hat.
- the sooty tern.
Origin of wide-awake
First recorded in 1810–20
SynonymsSee more synonyms for wide-awake on Thesaurus.com
2. watchful, vigilant; sharp, quick, astute.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- fully awake
- keen, alert, or observant
- Also called: wide-awake hat a hat with a low crown and very wide brim
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012