- a device used especially in mining for extracting the rubbish from a bored hole.
- a marbleworker's brace for drilling.
- any of various other instruments for boring.
- to bore or perforate with or as if with a wimble.
Origin of wimble
1250–1300; Middle English < Middle Dutch or Middle Low German wimmel auger; see gimlet
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of a number of hand tools, such as a brace and bit or a gimlet, used for boring holes
- to bore (a hole) with or as if with a wimble
C13: from Middle Dutch wimmel auger
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012