- a weak, ineffectual, timid person.
- wimp out,
- to be or act like a wimp.
- to show timidity or cowardice; chicken out.
Origin of wimp
Related Words for wimp outbalk, renege, backtrack, cancel, concede, admit, withdraw, abandon, surrender, retreat, accede, acquiesce, demur, recant, recoil, resign, submit, yield, avoid, scratch
- (intr, adverb) informal to fail to do or complete something through fear or lack of conviction
- informal a feeble ineffective personSee also wimp out
Word Origin for wimp
- windows, icons, menus (or mice), pointers: denoting a type of user-friendly screen display used on small computersa WIMP system
- physics weakly interacting massive particle
1920 (but not attested again until 1960), perhaps a clipped form of whimper (cf whimp, 1540s), perhaps influenced by J. Wellington Wimpy, comparatively unaggressive character in "Popeye" comics.
1986, with out (adv.), from wimp (n.). Related: Wimped; wimping.
- Short for weakly interacting massive particle. Any of various hypothetical particles, some predicted by certain theories such as supersymmetry, which interact with other particles by the force of gravity alone. WIMPs are considered by some scientists to be candidates for the dark matter that makes up much of the mass of the universe.