- of or relating to a yellow or yellowish color.
- Chemistry. of or derived from xanthine or xanthic acid.
Origin of xanthic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for xanthic
The type of the cyanic series is blue, and that of the xanthic series yellow.
And the end of it was he never againIn a Xanthic Xebec went sailing the main.The Book of Humorous Verse
- of, containing, or derived from xanthic acid
- botany rare having a yellow colour
Word Origin and History for xanthic
1817, from French xanthique, from Greek xanthos "yellow" (see xanthous).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Having a yellow or yellowish color.
- Of or relating to xanthine.