- a brand name for a copying machine for reproducing printed, written, or pictorial matter by xerography.
- (sometimes lowercase) a copy made on a xerographic copying machine.
- (sometimes lowercase) to print or reproduce by xerography.
Related Words for xeroxingditto, trace, photocopy, reproduce, duplicate, replicate, forge, carbon, clone, counterfeit, Photostat, mimeograph, reprint
- a xerographic copying process
- a machine employing this process
- a copy produced by this process
- to produce a copy of (a document, illustration, etc) by this process
1952, trademark taken out by Haloid Co. of Rochester, N.Y., for a copying device, from earlier xerography "photographic reduplication without liquid developers" (1948), from Greek xeros "dry" (see xerasia) + -ography as in photography. The verb is first attested 1965, from the noun, despite strenuous objection from the Xerox copyright department. Related: Xeroxed; Xeroxing.