- ludicrously or whimsically comical; clownish.
- one who plays the clown or fool in order to amuse others.
- a comically wild or eccentric person.
- a secondary stock character in old comedies who mimicked his master.
- a professional buffoon; clown.
- a silly person; simpleton.
- a slavish attendant or follower.
Origin of zany
Synonyms for zany
Related Words for zaniestkooky, eccentric, wacky, madcap, goofy, sappy, loony, comical, campy, fool, camp, screwball, idiot, nut, jester, clown, wag, joker, moron, comedian
Examples from the Web for zaniest
Contemporary Examples of zaniest
From Pam Grier to Britney Spears, a look back at the zaniest stewards of film and TV.Pop Culture’s Craziest Flight Attendants (VIDEO)
June 28, 2013
- comical in an endearing way; imaginatively funny or comical, esp in behaviour
- a clown or buffoon, esp one in old comedies who imitated other performers with ludicrous effect
- a ludicrous or foolish person
Word Origin for zany
1869, from zany (n.). Related: Zanily; zaniness.
comic performer, 1580s, from French zani, from Italian zani, zanni "a zany, clown," originally Zanni, Venetian dialect variant of Gianni, pet form of Giovanni "John." A stock character in old comedies, he aped the principal actors.