brownout

brown out

[broun-out]

What does brownout mean?

A brownout is like a blackout, just not as bad.

Where an electrical blackout means a loss of electricity, a brownout is a reduction in power. In a brownout, electric devices might still work, but be dimmer, slower, or generally less powerful.

RELATED WORDS

If someone blacks out drunk, they can't remember what they did. If someone browns out they have some memories, but only hazy or patchy ones.

RELATED WORDS
Examples of brownout

Advertisement

Examples of brownout
WeKnowMemes Generator
Penn state this weekend calls for a healthy ratio of being: 20% browned out, with the remaining 80% being blacked out
@Molly_Ranchers, September 2018
A heat wave blanketed the U.S. Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, sparking a brownout in New York City and forced utilities to ask customers to conserve electricity.
Scott DiSavino, Reuters, August 2012.

Where does brownout come from?

An electrical blackout, among other senses of the word, is recorded in 1934, the same year we find blackout for a loss of memory, as due to alcohol or drugs.

Brown isn’t as dark as black, and so a¬†brownout¬†isn’t as severe as a blackout. An electrical brownout¬†is found as early as 1942 in Australia for a partial blackout (i.e., some power is off).

During World War II, cities would conduct blackouts and brownouts to reduce the rise of air attacks. With no lights or dimmed lights on the ground, it would be harder for attacking forces to see potential targets. Eddie Leonski, a US soldier stationed in Australia, used the darkness of these brownouts to commit several murders in 1942, earning him the nickname the Brownout Strangler.

The end of the war curtailed intentional brownouts and blackouts, but unintentional ones continued. In 1971, Popular Mechanics saw them as an ongoing problem due to overuse and undersupply of electricity, recommending home owners get their own generators to avoid utilities having to conduct brownouts.

www.acelectricohio.com

The alcohol and drug-related¬†brownout appears to originate from the community of consumers, not health professionals.¬†In one first-person account from 1999, a writer recalls “passing out generally by 9:30, in at least a brownout and usually in a blackout.” A 1995 article in The Advocate discusses the possible role of brownouts in a homicide. In a 1997 play called¬†Blackout, one character describes a situation where she was¬†browned out:¬†¬†“I vaguely remember seeing some of it.”

So, a brownout is not quite a blackout. Some hazy memories remain, with neither a full and coherent recollection of the night nor a complete loss of it.

Who uses brownout?

A brownout is the instance of browning out, a verb form of the term. It can be used of both the electrical and alcohol or drug senses.

Electrical brownouts still occur, when electrical power fails to meet electrical demand. In the Philippines, as it happens, they call a blackout a brownout.

A medical expression for a drunken brownout is “an alcohol-induced fragmentary blackout.” Of course, even though the person can remember some of the night, other memories, including risky behavior, might be forgotten. Browning out¬†isn’t a great decision, overall.

Reddit

Aeronautics has its own use of the term brown out. It refers to the vision reduction caused by the dust or sand. This draws on another blackout, a temporary loss of sight that can happen at high accelerations while flying.

Sign up for our Newsletter!
Start your day with weird words, fun quizzes, and language stories.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.