- situated before or at the front of; fore (opposed to posterior).
- going before in time or sequence; preceding; earlier: events anterior to the outbreak of war.
- Linguistics. (in distinctive feature analysis) articulated in the region extending from the alveolar ridge to the lips; alveolar, dental, or labial.
- (in animals and embryos) pertaining to or toward the head or forward end of the body.
- (in humans) pertaining to or toward the front plane of the body, equivalent to the ventral surface of quadrupeds.
- Botany. on the front side and away from the main axis, as the lower lip of a flower.
Origin of anterior
1535–45; < Latin, comparative of ante before, formed on model of posterior
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for anteriority
A simple physical mechanism may be a priori, in the sense of anteriority.
We should here draw a distinction between the two senses of the a priori: anteriority and superiority.
The ogive is, perhaps, very ancient; and authors dispute as to the anteriority of the Romanesque to the Gothic.Bouvard and Pcuchet
This anteriority of nature is a commonplace in philosophy: thus one says that the decrees of God have an order among themselves.Theodicy
G. W. Leibniz
On the other hand, anteriority and posteriority exist in dimension as well as in numbers.Plotinos: Complete Works, v. 3
- situated at or towards the front
- earlier in time
- zoology of or near the head end
- botany (of part of a flower or leaf) situated farthest away from the main stem
C17: from Latin, comparative of ante before
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for anteriority
1610s, Latin, literally "former," comparative of ante "before" (see ante). Related: Anteriority.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Placed before or in front.
- Occurring before in time; earlier.
- Of or relating to the front surface of the body, especially of the position of one structure relative to another; ventral.
- Near the head or rostral end of certain embryos.
- The front surface of the body.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.