- to hold in reserve, as for future handling or repair.
- to enter and acknowledge (an order) for future shipment.
- to accumulate in a backlog: Orders are starting to backlog faster than we can process them.
Origin of backlog
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. supply, stock, store, fund, cache, reservoir.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an accumulation of uncompleted work, unsold stock, etc, to be dealt with
- mainly US and Canadian a large log at the back of a fireplace
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for backlogging
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper