- Benzedrine, especially in tablet form.
- any amphetamine tablet.
Origin of benny1
- Southern U.S., especially South Carolina, and Bahamian English. the sesame plant or its seeds.
Origin of benne
1760–70, Americanism; < Wolof, Malinke bene
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bennies
Bennies father frowned, but the visitor smiled a cordial smile.Atlantic Narratives
He lifted the lamp from his cap again and held it up close to Bennies face.
The light of hope flashed up in Bennies breast with the thought.
The whisperings of conscience were drowned in the anticipation of Bennies joy.
The giants huge hand dropped upon Bennies little one, and held it in a painful grasp.
- another name for sesame
- benne oil the edible oil obtained from sesame seeds
C18: from Malay bene; compare Bambara bene
- old-fashioned, slang an amphetamine tablet, esp benzedrine: a stimulant
C20: shortened from Benzedrine
- US slang a man's overcoat
C19: from Benjamin, perhaps from a tailor's name
- Jack, real name Benjamin Kubelsky . 1894–1974, US comedian
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012