- of both sexes.
- combining male and female organs in one individual; hermaphroditic.
- noting or relating to a person who is romantically or sexually attracted to both men and women, or to people of various gender identities; ambisexual.
- Biology. an animal or plant that has the reproductive organs of both sexes.
- a person who is romantically or sexually attracted to both men and women, or to people of various gender identities; ambisexual.
Origin of bisexual
Traditionally bisexual has referred to romantic or sexual attraction to two, and no more than two, genders, specifically male and female. However, the term is increasingly being used to refer to a level of sexual fluidity in which an individual moves bidirectionally along a spectrum of sexuality. This newer sense accounts for attraction to people who do not fall within the gender binary.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bisexuality
Bisexuality is one of his tools, but the show stops just short of saying that it is part of his identity.
According to this false theory, bisexuality is nothing more than a phase.
People who are putting their face out there and declaring their bisexuality are helping demystify it.Anna Paquin’s Bisexuality for Dummies
August 5, 2014
Ditto his claim of bisexuality which takes on new meaning and possibilities given the equipment.This Man Claims to Have Two Penises, Science Confirms It’s Possible
January 3, 2014
There was his teenage electroshock therapy, for one thing (it failed to cure his bisexuality—go figure).American Poet: Remembering Lou Reed
October 28, 2013
If, however, the king of countries and Ishtar be taken to be two different deities (as is possible), there is no bisexuality.Introduction to the History of Religions
Crawford Howell Toy
- sexually attracted by both men and women
- showing characteristics of both sexesa bisexual personality
- (of some plants and animals) having both male and female reproductive organs
- of or relating to both sexes
- a bisexual organism; a hermaphrodite
- a bisexual person
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for bisexuality
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to both sexes.
- Having both male and female reproductive organs; hermaphroditic.
- Relating to or having a sexual orientation to persons of either sex.
- A bisexual organism; a hermaphrodite.
- A bisexual person.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Sexual activity with, or sexual attraction to, members of both sexes.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.