- a stupid person; fool; dunce.
- British. a blunder; mistake.
- British. to blunder.
Origin of boob1
1905–10, Americanism; back formation from booby1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an ignorant or foolish person; booby
- British an embarrassing mistake; blunder
- a female breast
- (intr) British to make a blunder
C20: back formation from booby
- a prison
- of poor quality, similar to that provided in prisonboob coffee
from the US colloquial sense of booby hatch meaning jail
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for boobing
"stupid person," 1909, American English slang, perhaps from booby.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper