- without breath or breathing with difficulty; gasping; panting: We were breathless after the steep climb.
- with the breath held, as in suspense, astonishment, fear, or the like: breathless listeners of the mystery story.
- causing loss of breath, as from excitement, anticipation, or tension: a breathless ride.
- dead; lifeless.
- motionless or still, as air without a breeze: a breathless summer day.
Origin of breathless
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for breathlessly
For years, Republicans have been jumping up and down, breathlessly screaming that the Affordable Care Act would be a “disaster.”Lame Duck Laughs From Political Pranksters
April 1, 2014
It leads one to wonder how breathlessly the actual runup to the 2016 election will be covered.A Cuomo-Christie Proxy War?
December 3, 2013
Most breathlessly speculated that the defense would never recover.Trayvon Was Black. It Matters.
July 15, 2013
Hathaway has breathlessly thanked every member of her “team” during her countless awards-season acceptance speeches.The Anne Hathaway Hatred Is Out of Control
March 4, 2013
He suggested that we could, indeed, see a breathlessly close Obama win, or a breathlessly close Romney win.Why the Long Face, Democrats?
November 1, 2012
"Yes, it is," said Letty breathlessly, thrusting it in and shutting the bag.Tiverton Tales
"Say, old Peppajee's down at the stable with papa," Donny informed them breathlessly.Good Indian
B. M. Bower
"I see nothing but the lightning," Minnie answered, breathlessly.The Gentleman From Indiana
Then she sat down and repeated softly, breathlessly: 'I have found it!Abbe Mouret's Transgression
And then, breathlessly, she added: "It is time to go, I think."The Historical Nights' Entertainment
- out of breath; gasping, etc
- holding one's breath or having it taken away by excitement, etca breathless confrontation
- (esp of the atmosphere) motionless and stifling
- rare lifeless; dead
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for breathlessly
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper