- come a cropper, Informal.
- to fail; be struck by some misfortune: His big deal came a cropper.
- to fall headlong, especially from a horse.
Origin of cropper
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a person who cultivates or harvests a crop
- a cutting machine for removing the heads from castings and ingots
- a guillotine for cutting lengths of bar or strip
- a machine for shearing the nap from cloth
- a plant or breed of plant that will produce a certain kind of crop under specified conditionsa poor cropper on light land
- (often capital) a variety of domestic pigeon with a puffed-out crop
- come a cropper informal
- to fall heavily
- to fail completely
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012