- a musical instrument resembling an accordion but having buttonlike keys, hexagonal bellows and ends, and a more limited range.
- concertina wire.
- to fold, crush together, or collapse in the manner of a concertina: The car concertinaed when it hit the truck.
- to cause to fold or collapse in the manner of a concertina.
- of, relating to, or resembling a concertina: concertina pleats.
Origin of concertina
apparently coined by the original instrument's inventor, English instrument-maker Charles Wheatstone (1802–75), who patented it in 1829; cf. concertino, seraphina a similar instrument
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a small hexagonal musical instrument of the reed organ family in which metallic reeds are vibrated by air from a set of bellows operated by the player's hands. Notes are produced by pressing buttons
- (intr) to collapse or fold up like a concertina
C19: concert + -ina
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for concertinaed
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper