[med-i-chee; Italian me-dee-chee]
- Catherine de'. Catherine de Médicis.
- Cos·mo or Co·si·mo de' [kawz-maw or kaw-zee-maw de] /ˈkɔz mɔ or ˈkɔ zi mɔ dɛ/, the Elder, 1389–1464, Italian banker, statesman, and patron of art and literature.
- Cosmo or Cosimo de'the Great, 1519–74, duke of Florence and first grand duke of Tuscany.
- Gio·van·ni de' [jaw-vahn-nee de] /dʒɔˈvɑn ni dɛ/. Leo X.
- Giu·lio de' [joo-lyaw de] /ˈdʒu lyɔ dɛ/. Clement VII.
- Lo·ren·zo de' [law-ren-tsaw de] /lɔˈrɛn tsɔ dɛ/, Lorenzo the Magnificent, 1449–92, poet and patron of the arts and literature: ruler of Florence 1478–92 (father of Leo X).
- Ma·ri·a de' [muh-ree-uh duh; Italian mah-ree-ah de] /məˈri ə də; Italian mɑˈri ɑ dɛ/. Marie de Médicis.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an Italian family of bankers, merchants, and rulers of Florence and Tuscany, prominent in Italian political and cultural history in the 15th, 16th, and 17th centuries, including
- Catherine de' (kaˈtriːn de). See Catherine de' Medici
- Cosimo I (ˈkɔːzimo), known as Cosimo the Great. 1519–74, duke of Florence and first grand duke of Tuscany (1569–74)
- Cosimo de', known as Cosimo the Elder. 1389–1464, Italian banker, statesman, and patron of arts, who established the political power of the family in Florence (1434)
- Giovanni de', (dʒoˈvanni de). See Leo X
- Giulio de' (ˈdʒuːljo de). See Clement VII
- Lorenzo de' (loˈrɛntso de), known as Lorenzo the Magnificent. 1449–92, Italian statesman, poet, and scholar; ruler of Florence (1469–92) and first patron of Michelangelo
- Maria de' (maˈriːa de). See Maria de' Medici
French name: Médicis (medisis)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
The family produced two queens of France: Catherine, in the sixteenth century, and Marie, in the seventeenth.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.