[noun koun-ter-chek; verb koun-ter-chek]
- a check that opposes or restrains.
- a check controlling or confirming another check.
- to oppose or restrain (a tendency, force, trend, etc.) by contrary action.
- to control or confirm by a second check.
Origin of countercheck
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a check or restraint, esp one that acts in opposition to another
- a restraint that reinforces another restraint
- a double check, as for accuracy
- to oppose by counteraction
- to control or restrain by a second check
- to double-check
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012