- causing or tending to cause death; fatal; lethal: a deadly poison.
- aiming to kill or destroy; implacable: a deadly enemy.
- like death: a deadly pallor.
- excruciatingly boring: The dinner party was absolutely deadly.
- excessive; inordinate: deadly haste.
- extremely accurate: Annie Oakley was a deadly shot.
- in a manner resembling or suggesting death: deadly pale.
- excessively; completely: deadly dull.
Origin of deadly
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. See fatal. 4. dull, tedious, tiresome.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for deadliest
The country is also sixth deadliest when it comes to the gender-motivated killing of women.The Shocking Death of Miss Honduras
November 19, 2014
Melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, has seen a 200 percent increase in cases since 1973.Is the Facekini the Future of Beachwear?
August 23, 2014
It was the deadliest single bomb on London of the war—161 people died.Life Under Air Strikes: Children Under Fire Will Never Forget — or Forgive
August 3, 2014
The dispute over the rockets comes as the fighting in Gaza entered its deadliest day.Did the United Nations Give Rockets to Hamas?
July 20, 2014
As the Gaza war marks its deadliest day so far, Palestinians seek safety and rely on each other.Palestinians Fleeing Israeli Bombardment in Gaza Have ‘Nowhere Left to Run’
July 20, 2014
After all, I was her only boy, and it was to war in its deadliest form that I was going.In the Valley
In an Italian town he is always at work, and always thumping in the deadliest manner.The Uncommercial Traveller
Look at the tastes and habits of our age—the deadliest enemies of true religion!The Christian
If the cloud were no bigger than a man's hand, it was charged with deadliest lightning.Gerald Fitzgerald
Charles James Lever
Could settle the deadliest quarrel in the country by crooking his little finger.Lord Jim
- likely to cause deathdeadly poison; deadly combat
- informal extremely boring
- like death in appearance or certaintydeadly pale; a deadly sleep
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for deadliest
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper