- to represent by or as if by painting; portray; delineate.
- to represent or characterize in words; describe.
Origin of depict
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. reproduce, draw, paint, limn.
1, 2. Depict, portray, sketch imply a representation of an object or scene by colors or lines, or by words. Depict emphasizes vividness of detail: to depict the confusion of departure. Portray emphasizes faithful representation: We could not portray the anguish of the exiles. Sketch suggests the drawing of the outlines of the most prominent features or details, often in a preparatory way: to sketch the plans for a community development.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to represent by or as by drawing, sculpture, painting, etc; delineate; portray
- to represent in words; describe
C17: from Latin dēpingere, from pingere to paint
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for depictive
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper