- the aforesaid; the above; the same (used in accounts, lists, etc., to avoid repetition). Abbreviation: do. Symbol: ″.Compare ditto mark.
- another of the same.
- Informal. a duplicate; copy.
- as already stated; likewise.
- to make a copy of, using a Ditto machine.
- to duplicate or repeat the action or statement of (another person).
Origin of ditto
- the aforementioned; the above; the same. Used in accounts, lists, etc, to avoid repetition and symbolized by two small marks (ˌ) known as ditto marks, placed under the thing repeatedAbbreviation: do
- a duplicate
- (as modifier)a ditto copy
- in the same way
- informal used to avoid repeating or to confirm agreement with an immediately preceding sentence
- (tr) to copy; repeat
Word Origin and History for dittoed
1620s, Tuscan dialectal ditto "(in) the said (month or year)," literary Italian detto, past participle of dire "to say," from Latin dicere (see diction).
Originally used in Italian to avoid repetition of month names in a series of dates; generalized meaning of "same as above" first recorded in English 1670s. Dittohead, self-description of followers of U.S. radio personality Rush Limbaugh, attested by 1995. dittoship is from 1869.