- introduced or coming from without; not belonging or proper to a thing; external; foreign: extraneous substances in our water.
- not pertinent; irrelevant: an extraneous remark; extraneous decoration.
Origin of extraneous
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. extrinsic, adventitious, alien. 2. inappropriate, nonessential, superfluous.
1. intrinsic. 2. pertinent, relevant.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for extraneously
Hypothetically considered, the situation was not extraneously alarming.The Shriek
- not essential
- not pertinent or applicable; irrelevant
- coming from without; of external origin
- not belonging; unrelated to that to which it is added or in which it is contained
C17: from Latin extrāneus external, from extrā outside
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for extraneously
1630s, from Latin extraneus "external, strange," from extra "outside of" (see extra-).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper