- Jazz. having an earthy, blues-based quality or character.
- having an offensive smell; evil-smelling; foul.
Origin of funky2
Examples from the Web for funkiness
This waste of time and effort was largely due to funkiness on my part, and there was no necessity for it.Down the Columbia
Lewis R. Freeman
- (of music) passionate, soulful; of or pertaining to funk
- authentic; earthy
- stylish and exciting; coolfunky jeans
- slang, mainly US evil-smelling; foul
Word Origin and History for funkiness
1784, "old, musty," in reference to cheeses, then "repulsive," from funk (n.2) + -y (2). It began to develop an approving sense in jazz slang c.1900, probably on the notion of "earthy, strong, deeply felt." Funky also was used early 20c. by white writers in reference to body odor allegedly peculiar to blacks. The word reached wider popularity c.1954 (e.g. definition in "Time" magazine, Nov. 8, 1954) and in the 1960s acquired a broad slang sense of "fine, stylish, excellent."