- bad luck.
- a person or thing that brings bad luck.
- Geology. a pillar of rock, usually of fantastic shape, left by erosion.
- to bring or cause bad luck to.
Origin of hoodoo
1870–75, Americanism; apparently var of voodoo
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for hoodooing
- a variant of voodoo
- informal a person or thing that brings bad luck
- informal bad luck
- (in the western US and Canada) a strangely shaped column of rock
- (tr) informal to bring bad luck to
C19: variant of voodoo
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for hoodooing
"one who practices voodoo," 1870, American English, probably an alteration of voodoo. Meaning "something that causes or brings bad luck" is attested from 1880.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper