- symbolic representation, especially the conventional meanings attached to an image or images.
- subject matter in the visual arts, especially with reference to the conventions regarding the treatment of a subject in artistic representation.
- the study or analysis of subject matter and its meaning in the visual arts; iconology.
- a representation or a group of representations of a person, place, or thing, as a portrait or a collection of portraits.
Origin of iconography
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the symbols used in a work of art or art movement
- the conventional significance attached to such symbols
- a collection of pictures of a particular subject, such as Christ
- the representation of the subjects of icons or portraits, esp on coins
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for iconograph
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper