- not solvent; unable to satisfy creditors or discharge liabilities, either because liabilities exceed assets or because of inability to pay debts as they mature.
- pertaining to bankrupt persons or bankruptcy.
- a person who is insolvent.
Origin of insolvent
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. penniless, destitute, impoverished, bankrupt.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of a person, company, etc) having insufficient assets to meet debts and liabilities; bankrupt
- of or relating to bankrupts or bankruptcy
- a person who is insolvent; bankrupt
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for in-solvent
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper