- not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.
- utterly senseless: an insane plan.
Origin of insane
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for insanest
But if this confessed the truth, she was the insanest of women.Lord Ormont and his Aminta, Complete
Behold now the consequence of the wilful Welshwoman's insanest of legacies!The Celt and Saxon, Complete
No cloak of insanest belief, of dullest mistake, would henceforth hide any more the dreary nakedness of the skeleton, life!There and Back
Thus he was perfectly rational, though when others beheld him he appeared the insanest of mortals.The Amazing Marriage, Complete
Nothing but the insanest bigotry in favor of their own conjectures could lead them to quarrel with us for expounding ours.Comic Bible Sketches
George W. Foote
- mentally deranged; crazy; of unsound mind
- (as collective noun; preceded by the)the insane
- characteristic of a person of unsound mindan insane stare
- irresponsible; very foolish; stupid
Word Origin and History for insanest
1550s, from Latin insanus "mad, insane; outrageous, excessive, extravagant," from in- "not" (see in- (1)) + sanus "well, healthy, sane" (see sane). Originally only of persons; of actions, from 1842. Cf. lunatic; and Italian pazzo "insane," originally a euphemism, from Latin patiens "suffering." German verrückt, literally past participle of verrücken "to displace," "applied to the brain as to a clock that is 'out of order' " [Buck]. The noun meaning "insane person" is attested from 1786.
- Of, exhibiting, or afflicted with insanity.