[loh-kuh-liz-uh m]See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
Related formslo·cal·ist, nounlo·cal·is·tic, adjective
- a word, phrase, pronunciation, or manner of speaking that is peculiar to one locality.
- a local custom.
- excessive devotion to and promotion of the interests of a particular locality; sectionalism.
- attachment to a particular locality.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for localist
Derived Formslocalist, nounlocalistic, adjective
- a pronunciation, phrase, etc, peculiar to a particular locality
- another word for provincialism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for localist
1680s, from local (adj.) + -ist. Related: Localistic.
"attachment to a particular locality," 1803, from local (adj.) + -ism. Meaning "something characteristic of a particular locality" is from 1823.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper