- affected with, characterized by, or causing a depressing feeling of being alone; lonesome.
- destitute of sympathetic or friendly companionship, intercourse, support, etc.: a lonely exile.
- lone; solitary; without company; companionless.
- remote from places of human habitation; desolate; unfrequented; bleak: a lonely road.
- standing apart; isolated: a lonely tower.
Origin of lonely
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
4. uninhabited, unpopulated. 5. secluded.
1. See alone.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- unhappy as a result of being without the companionship of othersa lonely man
- causing or resulting from the state of being alonea lonely existence
- isolated, unfrequented, or desolate
- without companions; solitary
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for lonelily
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper