- a delicate or fine point; punctilio: niceties of protocol.
- a fine distinction; subtlety; detail: the niceties of the filigree work.
- Usually niceties. a refined, elegant, or choice feature, as of manner or living: working hard to acquire the niceties of life.
- exactness or precision.
- the quality of being nice; niceness.
- delicacy of character, as of something requiring care or tact: a matter of considerable nicety.
Origin of nicety
Examples from the Web for niceties
But an absence of niceties nor an unwillingness to conform is not a legitimate cause for impeachment.The University of Texas’s Machiavellian War on Its Regent
October 27, 2014
Still, all these niceties logged, there is no getting away from the crazy coaches and poor kids.The All-American Abuse of ‘Friday Night Tykes’
January 23, 2014
When one writer dismissed with the niceties in emails—no more apologies or thank yous—her work life improved.Why Being a Jerk at Work Pays
October 20, 2011
Burke, however, as usual, paid no heed to the niceties of sentiment.Within the Law
The niceties of life are always matters of small care but great moment.The Etiquette of To-day
Edith B. Ordway
But Delancy had no time to fritter away on niceties of etiquette.Making People Happy
However acute these niceties sometimes were, they were often ridiculous.Curiosities of Literature, Vol. 1 (of 3)
But Dr. Wigan does not go into these niceties of this subject, and I failed.If, Yes and Perhaps
Edward Everett Hale
- a subtle point of delicacy or distinctiona nicety of etiquette
- (usually plural) a refinement or delicacythe niceties of first-class travel
- subtlety, delicacy, or precision
- excessive refinement; fastidiousness
- to a nicety with precision
Word Origin and History for niceties
mid-14c., "folly, stupidity," from Old French niceté "foolishness, childishness, simplicity," from nice "silly" (see nice). Underwent sense evolution parallel to nice, arriving at "minute, subtle point" 1580s and "exactitude" in 1650s. Phrase to a nicety "exactly" is attested from 1795.