- to pay back or refund, as money.
- to make return for: She repaid the compliment with a smile.
- to make return to in any way: We can never repay you for your help.
- to return: to repay a visit.
- to make repayment or return.
Origin of repay
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. reimburse, indemnify. 3. requite, reward.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to pay back (money) to (a person); refund or reimburse
- to make a return for (something) by way of compensationto repay kindness
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for non-repayable
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper