- serving to nourish; providing nutriment; nutritious.
- of, relating to, or concerned with nutrition: foods with high nutritive value.
- an item of nourishing food: a breakfast of cereals, fruits, and other nutritives.
Origin of nutritive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- providing nourishment
- of, concerning, or promoting nutrition
- a nutritious food
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for nonnutritive
late 14c., from Old French nutritif and directly from Medieval Latin nutritivus "nourishing," from past participle stem of Latin nutrire "to nourish" (see nourish).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Of or relating to nutrition.
- Nutritious; nourishing.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.