- a diagonal vaulting rib.
- a pointed arch.
- Statistics. the distribution curve of a frequency distribution.
- Rocketry. the curved nose of a missile or rocket.
Origin of ogive
1605–15; < French, Middle French ogive, augive < Spanish aljibe < Spanish Arabic al-jibb the well
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for ogives
Along the four sides ran a wide gallery of Moorish ogives carved with trifoil and supported by low pillars of rose-colored marble.
- a diagonal rib or groin of a Gothic vault
- another name for lancet arch
- statistics a graph the ordinates of which represent cumulative frequencies of the values indicated by the corresponding abscissas
- the conical head of a missile or rocket that protects the payload during its passage through the atmosphere
C17: from Old French, of uncertain origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012