- a dot or round spot (printed, woven, or embroidered) repeated to form a pattern on a textile fabric.
- a pattern of or a fabric with such dots.
Origin of polka dot
An Americanism dating back to 1880–85
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- one of a pattern of small circular regularly spaced spots on a fabric
- a fabric or pattern with such spots
- (as modifier)a polka-dot dress
C19: of uncertain origin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for polkadotted
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper