- the middle of the night; twelve o'clock at night.
- of or relating to midnight.
- resembling midnight, as in darkness.
- burn the midnight oil, to study or work far into the night: After months of burning the midnight oil, he really needed a vacation.
Origin of midnight
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the middle of the night; 12 o'clock at night
- (as modifier)the midnight hour
- burn the midnight oil to work or study late into the night
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for postmidnight
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper