[hi-stawr-i-kuh l, -stor-]
- of, pertaining to, treating, or characteristic of history or past events: historical records; historical research.
- based on or reconstructed from an event, custom, style, etc., in the past: a historical reenactment of the battle of Gettysburg.
- having once existed or lived in the real world, as opposed to being part of legend or fiction or as distinguished from religious belief: to doubt that a historical Camelot ever existed; a theologian's study of the historical Jesus.
- narrated or mentioned in history; belonging to the past.
- noting or pertaining to analysis based on a comparison among several periods of development of a phenomenon, as in language or economics.
- historic(def 1).
Origin of historical
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
3. documented, authentic, factual, attested.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for pseudo-historical
He would be simply incomprehensible to the millions of Americans who delight in musical comedy and in pseudo-historical romance.Essays on Russian Novelists
William Lyon Phelps
All these pseudo-historical publications are, however, only one aspect of the abundant literary production of the Great War.Introduction to the Science of Sociology
Robert E. Park
At an early stage of his career the critic welcomes this class of pseudo-historical drama—but his welcome takes an unamiable form.Our Stage and Its Critics
"E.F.S." of "The Westminster Gazette"
- belonging to or typical of the study of historyhistorical methods
- concerned with or treating of events of the pasthistorical accounts
- based on or constituting factual material as distinct from legend or supposition
- based on or inspired by historya historical novel
- occurring or prominent in history
- a less common word for historic (def. 1)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pseudo-historical
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper