- of, relating to, or having the form of a hexagon.
- having a hexagon as a base or cross section: a hexagonal prism.
- divided into hexagons, as a surface.
- Crystallography. noting or pertaining to a system of crystallization in which three equal axes intersect at angles of 60° on one plane, and the fourth axis, of a different length, intersects them perpendicularly.
Origin of hexagonal
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- having six sides and six angles
- of or relating to a hexagon
- crystallog relating or belonging to the crystal system characterized by three equal coplanar axes inclined at 60° to each other and a fourth longer or shorter axis at right angles to their planeSee also trigonal
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for pseudohexagonal
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Having six sides.
- Relating to a crystal having three axes of equal length intersecting at angles of 60° in one plane, and a fourth axis of a different length that is perpendicular to this plane. The mineral calcite has hexagonal crystals. See illustration at crystal.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.