- like a sketch; giving only outlines or essentials.
- imperfect, incomplete, slight, or superficial: a sketchy meal.
- unreliable or unsafe: That street looks pretty sketchy.
- disreputable or shady: I'd stay away from him; he's got a sketchy past.
Origin of sketchy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sketchiest
I won't say it is affection, because our relations are usually of the sketchiest description.Captain Macedoine's Daughter
A life-history of human culture is a large topic, not to be attempted here even in the sketchiest outline.The Place of Science in Modern Civilisation and Other Essays
He spoke nothing but the truth, for he had but the sketchiest acquaintance with the composition of any kind of machinery.In Brief Authority
- characteristic of a sketch; existing only in outline
- superficial or slight
- informal uncertain or unreliable
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sketchiest
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper