- having or exercising skill: a skillful juggler.
- showing or involving skill: a skillful display of fancy diving.
- Obsolete. reasonable; rational.
Also especially British, skil·ful.
Origin of skillful
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
1. ready, adroit, deft, adept, apt, clever, ingenious.
1. Skillful, skilled, expert refer to readiness and adroitness in an occupation, craft, or art. Skillful suggests especially adroitness and dexterity: a skillful watchmaker. Skilled implies having had long experience and thus having acquired a high degree of proficiency: not an amateur but a skilled worker. Expert means having the highest degree of proficiency; it may mean much the same as skillful or skilled, or both: expert workmanship. See also dexterous.
1. awkward, clumsy, amateurish.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for skillfully
His treachery, however, had been skillfully concealed for years.The Castration of Alan Turing, Britain’s Code-Breaking WWII Hero
November 29, 2014
Gil took weeks to build a monologue, skillfully turning the words on their head.‘The Prince of Chocolate City’: When Gil Scott-Heron Became A Music Icon
November 15, 2014
She tackles weighty subjects with a naive sensibility and faux-innocence, but skillfully avoids dumbing them down.The Singular Artist of New Yorkistan
November 14, 2014
A helping of free PR, all while skillfully avoiding the exorbitant day rate of British fashion model Daisy Lowe.How Marc Jacobs Punk’d the Modeling World
July 8, 2014
Growing up is hard to do—was then, is now—but Crystal skillfully interweaves the bitter and the sweet.Comedy Is His Calling: The Brilliance of Billy Crystal
April 18, 2014
All the service he could render, he rendered promptly and skillfully.Life And Adventures Of Martin Chuzzlewit
Then lift each plant with a spade or mattock slowly and skillfully.The Mayflower, January, 1905
All these riots must be the result of a skillfully laid mine.Diary from November 12, 1862, to October 18, 1863
So skillfully is this done that it is impossible to detect the lines of jointure.Legends of Wailuku
He caught them skillfully with his right hand, his hat still in his left.Frank Merriwell Down South
Burt L. Standish
Word Origin and History for skillfully
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper