- seasoned with or containing spice: a spicy salad dressing.
- characteristic or suggestive of spice.
- of the nature of or resembling spice.
- abounding in or yielding spices.
- aromatic or fragrant.
- piquant or pungent: spicy criticism.
- of a slightly improper or risqué nature; somewhat sexy: a spicy novel.
- Informal. full of spirit; lively.
Origin of spicy
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
6. hot, sharp, peppery. 7. suggestive, racy, ribald, improper.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for spicy
I'm pleased with my decision to avoid the routine script problems in favor of the spicy stuff.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days
December 13, 2014
That seemed to imply a spicy sex life, I say to him the next day.Gay Activist David Mixner: I Mercy Killed 8 People
October 29, 2014
Stewed apples, dusted with cinnamon, are an ideal companion to spicy food.Charlottesville Is Swimming in Finger Lickin’ Gas Station Fried Chicken
Jane & Michael Stern
May 26, 2014
Oh, and of course I love Dorne and its hot, spicy atmosphere!Inside the Obsessive Fantasy World of ‘Game of Thrones’ Cosplay
April 6, 2014
The gardeners were busy with the flower beds around the fountain, and the freshly turned earth smelled sweet and spicy.Read ‘The King in Yellow,’ the ‘True Detective’ Reference That’s the Key to the Show
Robert W. Chambers
February 20, 2014
Amidst the heavy exhalations of these, a Parmesan set a spicy aroma.The Fat and the Thin
Their comments and jokes were most spicy and personal, and in all Lucindy led.
There is again, in this spicy atmosphere, a local—or shall we say native?From a Terrace in Prague
Lieut.-Col. B. Granville Baker
It is marvelous how a dull eye lights up if the bit be spicy.Journeys to Bagdad
Charles S. Brooks
The sausage remained on the table, thick and spicy and brown.The Promised Land
- seasoned with or containing spice
- highly flavoured; pungent
- informal suggestive of scandal or sensation
- producing or yielding spices
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for spicy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper