- formed by the conjunction or collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; total; combined: the aggregate amount of indebtedness.
- (of a flower) formed of florets collected in a dense cluster but not cohering, as the daisy.
- (of a fruit) composed of a cluster of carpels belonging to the same flower, as the raspberry.
- Geology. (of a rock) consisting of a mixture of minerals separable by mechanical means.
- a sum, mass, or assemblage of particulars; a total or gross amount: the aggregate of all past experience.
- a cluster of soil granules not larger than a small crumb.
- any of various loose, particulate materials, as sand, gravel, or pebbles, added to a cementing agent to make concrete, plaster, etc.
- Mathematics. set(def 92).
- to bring together; collect into one sum, mass, or body.
- to amount to (the number of): The guns captured will aggregate five or six hundred.
- to combine and form a collection or mass.
- in the aggregate, taken or considered as a whole: In the aggregate, our losses have been relatively small.
Origin of aggregate
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- formed of separate units collected into a whole; collective; corporate
- (of fruits and flowers) composed of a dense cluster of carpels or florets
- a sum or assemblage of many separate units; sum total
- geology a rock, such as granite, consisting of a mixture of minerals
- the sand and stone mixed with cement and water to make concrete
- a group of closely related biotypes produced by apomixis, such as brambles, which are the Rubus fruticosus aggregate
- in the aggregate taken as a whole
- to combine or be combined into a body, etc
- (tr) to amount to (a number)
Word Origin and History for sub-aggregate
c.1400, from Latin aggregatum, neuter past participle of aggregare (see aggregate (adj.)). Related: Aggregated; aggregating.
"number of persons, things, etc., regarded as a unit," early 15c., from noun use of Latin adjective aggregatum, neuter of aggregatus (see aggregate (adj.)).
- Crowded or massed into a dense cluster.
- A total considered with reference to its constituent parts; a gross amount in a mass or cluster.
- To gather into a mass, sum, or whole.