- a person, animal, plant, group, etc., that is part of a society, party, community, taxon, or other body.
- a member of Congress, especially of the House of Representatives.
- a member of the British Parliament, especially of the House of Commons.
- any member of a legislative body.
- a part or organ of an animal body; a limb, as a leg, arm, or wing.
- Botany. a structural entity of a plant body.
- the penis.
- a constituent part of any structural or composite whole, as a subordinate architectural feature of a building.
- either side of an equation.
- an element of a set.
- Geology. a stratigraphic unit recognized within a formation, and mapped as such.
- being a member of or having membership in an association, organization, etc.: member countries of the United Nations.
Origin of member
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- a person who belongs to a club, political party, etc
- any individual plant or animal in a taxonomic groupa member of the species
- any part of an animal body, such as a limb
- another word for penis
- any part of a plant, such as a petal, root, etc
- maths any individual object belonging to a set or logical class
- a distinct part of a whole, such as a proposition in a syllogism
- a component part of a building or construction
Word Origin and History for sub-member
late 13c., "sex organ" (cf. Latin membrum virile, but in English originally of women as well as men), also, "body part or organ" (in plural, "the body"), from Old French membre "part, portion; topic, subject; limb, member of the body; member" (of a group, etc.)," 11c., from Latin membrum "limb, member of the body, part," probably from PIE *mems-ro, from root *mems- "flesh, meat" (cf. Sanskrit mamsam "flesh;" Greek meninx "membrane," meros "thigh" (the "fleshy part"); Gothic mimz "flesh"). In English, sense of "person belonging to a group" is first attested early 14c., from notion of "constituent part of a complex structure." Meaning "one who has been elected to parliament" is from early 15c.
- A distinct part of a whole.
- A part or an organ of a human or animal body, especially a limb.
- A quantity that belongs to a set.
- The expression on either side of an equal sign.