- to develop gradually: to evolve a scheme.
- to give off or emit, as odors or vapors.
- to come forth gradually into being; develop; undergo evolution: The whole idea evolved from a casual remark.
- to gradually change one's opinions or beliefs: candidates who are still evolving on the issue; an evolved feminist mom.
- Biology. to develop by a process of evolution to a different adaptive state or condition: The human species evolved from an ancestor that was probably arboreal.
Origin of evolve
Examples from the Web for unevolved
This is acting in every sense of the word—bringing an unevolved animal to life and making it utterly believable.Oscars 2015: The Daily Beast’s Picks, From Scarlett Johansson to ‘Boyhood’
January 6, 2015
We can see but a small part of it, for the rest is as yet unevolved.Theism
If he was the unevolved ignoramus here he remains precisely that in the astral world.Elementary Theosophy
L. W. Rogers
Brahma represents the creative principle, the unreflected or unevolved protogoneus state of divinity—the Father.
In a land new and wild, his establishment was the wildest, partook most of the unsubdued, unevolved character of its surroundings.
To attempt to follow a trail now was waste of time; and gradually, as he stood there, the unevolved fury of the man transformed.
- to develop or cause to develop gradually
- (intr) (of animal or plant species) to undergo evolution
- (tr) to yield, emit, or give off (heat, gas, vapour, etc)
Word Origin and History for unevolved
1640s, "to unfold, open out, expand," from Latin evolvere "to unroll," especially of books; figuratively "to make clear, disclose; to produce, develop," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + volvere "to roll" (see volvox). Meaning "to develop by natural processes to a higher state" is from 1832. Related: Evolved; evolving.
- To undergo biological evolution, as in the development of new species or new traits within a species.
- To develop a characteristic through the process of evolution.
- To undergo change and development, as the structures of the universe.