- causing intense surprise, disgust, horror, etc.
- very bad: shocking manners.
Origin of shocking
SynonymsSee more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
- causing shock, horror, or disgust
- shocking pink a vivid or garish shade of pink
- informal very bad or terribleshocking weather
Word Origin and History for unshocking
1690s, "offensive," present participle adjective from shock (v.1). From 1704 as "causing a jolt of indignation, horror, etc.;" from 1798 as "so bad as to be shocking." Related: Shockingly. Shocking pink introduced February 1937 by Italian-born fashion designer Elsa Schiaparelli.